Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pasta with a Roasted Red Pepper Pesto-like sauce

This past weekend, I visited my parents.
The family I come from is very meat oriented. My parents eat probably 60% animal products in their diets if they're not gardening and I'm not around. The percentage may even be higher. So as you can imagine, I either have to buy food or scrounge around in the back to their pantry and fridge when I visit.
For part of this visit, I bought a few boxes of veggie pasta and some avocados, garlic, and basil, and made a tried and true dish the first night. However, by the second night, I was scrounging about. I opened up the pantry and found a huge bag of pine nuts. "I can make pesto!" I thought. "Perfect!" So I moved to the fridge, and started looking for any greens I could use. I'd used all my basil the previous night, and I discovered that the only thing green in their entire fridge was the packaging on the string cheese. What a bummer. However, the jar of roasted red peppers sitting in the middle of the fridge caught my attention.
The result was the sauce I'm about to share with you below. It was quite delicious. I made it again once I came home, and it gained omnivore approval with M.
Ingredients
1 16 oz jar roasted red peppers in water
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Optional)
Pasta of your choice (I used the Barilla veggie farfalle)
Red pepper flakes to taste

Directions
Put water on to boil.
Put pine nuts into a pan, and turn heat to medium low. Stir them frequently, until they're toasted and golden brown in places.
Peel 2 cloves of garlic and quarter them.
Drain your roasted red peppers.
When water is boiling, throw your pasta in.
Put pine nuts, red peppers, garlic, salt, and olive oil all together in a blender. Blend until you have a sauce - it may be slightly gritty in appearance due to the pine nuts.
When your pasta is done, drain and return to pot. Mix in your sauce.
Serve, adding red pepper flakes to taste as a garnish.

Edit
After further tweaks, I halved the amount of oil and pine nuts.
M and I have started Weight Watchers, so I will now be posting points. This entire recipe, assuming the use of my recommended pasta, is worth 51 Points+. Assuming 4 servings, this comes in a 13 Points+ a serving. If the oil is omitted completely, it is reduced to 47 total and 12 per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment